Thursday, December 03, 2009

NPR story of Down Syndrome births in US

A recent study show that the number of babies born with Down Syndrome has increased over the past decade. That's an interesting that prenatal testing has dramatically increased during that same time and 90% of women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of T21 terminate the pregnancy. I like what Kidder (founder of Band of Angels) has to say about increased visibility of happy people leading happy lives as possibly contributing to the counteracting the fear (and shame?) of a T21 prenatal diagnosis. I have often wondered if knowing our family (or maybe my reading my essay for "This I Believe") has played a role in someone's decision. To read the NPR article click HERE.

1 comment:

Michelle S. said...

I meant to ask you about this today!!! I went to swimming saying WE ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT THIS. and didn't. I want to hear your thoughts on the subject. Someone told me about it at work today. Very interesting.